January 12, 2010

Perfect Vision Without Surgery

I don't if others with sub-perfect vision feel the same way but I find it really annoying to have to choose between glasses and contact lenses to be able to function in society. Surgical vision correction has its side effects and even though I have family that have undergone the procedure, as an aspiring surgeon, I'm not sure it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Solution? I've come across an old technique that promises perfect 20/20 vision without surgical correction. It's called Orthokeratology (or Ortho-k for short). You wear contact lenses at night that have been custom designed for your eyes. These contact lenses reshape your cornea so that you wake up everyday with perfect vision (kind of like a retainer for the eyes). Unfortunately, this solution only lasts the day.

The only refractive surgery I would consider is insertion of intrastromal corneal ring segments (Intacs), where a new lens is implanted in your eyes. This avoids damage to your cornea and the lens can be changed as your vision changes. As this procedure has only been approved to low degrees of myopia I will have to wait!


3 comments:

  1. These vision-correcting lenses are indeed useful. I am considering trying them! They would be a reasonable short-term solution for a sport activity lie tennis, squash or even paintball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you name any surgical procedures to correct the vision and what are the side effects of these procedures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wikipedia has a good overview of all the refractive surgery procedure and their side effects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_surgery
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete